Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Who's the genius?

The "genius" function in iTunes is temporarily my favourite thing in the world. The kids defeated me in an Age of Empires mother-of-all-battles epic, so I retreated into iTunes to lick my wounds and clicked around genius to find something new to listen to. It threw up Jo Jo Gunne who, like many people, I know only from the hit "Run Run Run", which I had years ago on a compilation tape. In an experimental mood and opting to try something new for the New Year, I bought "Big Chain" and it's brilliant, I've been listening to it ever since. Well done that computer.

But what was the connection? Jo Jo Gunne -- I subsequently discovered -- were formed out of Spirit. Many years ago, I had a girlfriend who really liked Spirit and I thought they were OK, but not great. But one of their tracks -- I've got a line on you -- was always a favourite. In my iTunes purchased music library, I've got an album by the Jeff Healey Band that includes a cover version of I've got a line on you, and this is in the 'most listened to' playlist.

Wow. Is genius that clever? If so, why aren't they using it to hunt down terrorists or fix the banking crisis?

In the future, everyone will be famous to fifteen people.
[posted with ecto]

No comments:

ShareThis