Search This Blog

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Half and half

I had a strange timeshift experience in the West Country. It was like that TV show where that guy got knocked on the head and woke up in the 1970s. I woke up in Cricklade, which is much the same thing. Anyway, I wandered up to the bar to get some drinks in and spotted two amazing things. The first was Babycham. I had no idea that this still existed -- I haven't seen it for years. Growing up on a Swindon council estate, I'd always imagined Babycham to be the height of sophistication, although thinking about it I'm not sure if I can ever remember going out with a girl who drank it. Anyway, as the momentary shock of recognition jolted me, I almost gasped out loud as I glanced to my left and saw Ansell's Mild on tap. When I worked in a British Legion club before I went to University, mild & bitter (half of draught mild mixed with half of whatever is the cheapest draught bitter) was my favourite drink. So that's what I ordered, and you know what, it was really nice. A genuinely Proustian moment. It tasted like 1976 (apparently the best ever year), when I used to drink literally a gallon (i,e eight pints) of the stuff in an evening and didn't get drunk. Last night, though, I only had two pints of it and I fell asleep in the car on the way home.

In the future, everyone will be famous to fifteen people.
[posted with ecto]

Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this takes me back Dave. A little earlier than you perhaps but I used to drink the same in the days when bitter was 2/6 a pint and mild 2 shillings a pint. 10 pints for a quid!

Babycham was never popular with the girls of my circle - pernod was for some strange reason. The other big drink was Black Velvet - should be Guiness and champagne but of course we couldn't afford the champagne. Think we used cider instead but you will understand why I have no memory of that lethal concoction haha.

GreatSheElephant said...

Ermm, tell me you weren't driving at that point Dave.

ShareThis