Search This Blog

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Votes for common sense

I was looking at the local election results in the paper while sorting out the recycling. In one constituency (Tony Blair's, as it happens) the Tory candidate got no votes at all. This is the first time that someone has managed to get no votes at all since 1860, which I think is pretty spectacular. She couldn't even vote for herself, since she doesn't live in the ward. Somewhere else, I can't remember where, they elected an 18 year old. Come on. What was he campaigning on? Playstations vs. Wii? It's absurd that eighteen year olds are allowed to vote, let alone stand for office. No-one should be allowed to do either until they've paid a full stamp (National Insurance / Social Security contributions, for our foreign visitors) for at least five years. And, while I'm on it, and much as I don't want to touch on either religion or politics on the blog, I will just make the point that the fuss about tens of thousands of votes get ignored (in Scotland) because of complicated ballot papers is ludicrous. Ballot papers should be complicated: if someone can't pass the simple threshold of filling out "1, 2, 3, 4" instead of "X", then it seems amazing to me that they should be allowed influence over my rubbish collection options.

In the future, everyone will be famous to fifteen people.
[posted with ecto]

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

ShareThis